Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Potty Training

In my opinion, potty training is one of the hardest things to do.  I remember how stressful it was potty training my first daughter.  I started potty training her when she was eighteen months old but she was not potty trained until she was three years old.  Sometimes I think I might have started too soon with her.  I used to put her on the potty every half hour or so and if she went I would give her a treat.  I used to do flash cards and read stories to her when she was on the potty to pass time. I even tried putting underwear on her but that didn't work either.  Then my husband suggested we get one of those portable potty seats and it worked!  Within three days she was completely trained!  She's four years old now. 

My second daughter is three years old and I'm in the process of potty training her, but she is not interested at all.  I started potty training her when she was two but I gave it a break because even though she seemed ready she wouldn't use the potty.  I have taken a break a couple of times but I really need to get her trained as she starts kindergarten next September.  I know it's a whole year from now, but time flies.  I also have an almost four month old daughter so I have a really hard time putting her on the potty all the time.  It's frustrating because if I put her on the potty every half hour she gets angry and does not want to go.  If I wait too long then she goes in her pull-up.  I tried putting underwear on her but that didn't work.  I might go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of little things and wrap them.  Then whenever she goes I'll give her a present.  I did that with my older daughter but it did work that well with her.  Every child is different so my three year old might respond better.  I guess we'll see what happens.

Potty training takes a lot of patience.  I have learned potty training my older daughter that the child has all the control and when she's ready she will be potty trained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment